PHE is an innovative environmental, planning, and technology consulting firm. Our engineers, scientists, and planners are engaged in complex programs and projects solving today’s most pressing environmental, climate change, energy, and national security challenges. PHE is currently seeking a growth oriented individual, that is interested in gaining diverse work experience in a collaborative work environment, for a full-time Environmental Scientist position in our Gaithersburg, Maryland office.
The successful candidate will have the ability to support a variety of PHE programs and projects. Primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will include support for various aspects of environmental impact analysis and regulatory compliance for our Defense, Energy, and Industrial sector clients throughout the United States. This position requires the ability to collaborate with teams of scientists, engineers, and other PHE personnel, and the skills to effectively interact with regulatory staff and clients. The position requires some out of town travel and may include field work.
The Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Entry-level to Mid-level position (based on experience) supporting environmental studies and regulatory compliance groups in PHE’s Gaithersburg, MD office.
- Working under the supervision of a project manager or senior level manager on a variety of types of projects including but not limited to: data collection and research, environmental impact analysis, environmental document preparation, field studies, regulatory analysis, and compliance plans and audits.
- Writing technical reports, letters, memoranda, plans, specifications, and proposals.
- Providing support for various company and group strategic initiatives.
- Traveling for project assignments and fieldwork.
- Education. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in environmental science, geology, engineering or related field.
- Relevant Experience. 2 to 5 years of experience in the areas of environmental impact analysis, natural resource studies, environmental permitting, or environmental regulations.
- Communication Skills. Outgoing and personable with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to work independently to solve problems.
- Professional Attributes. Self-motivated and adaptable working style with the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently. Willingness to modify personal schedules as required to meet deadlines and client needs.
- Computer Proficiency. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products including Word, Excel, and other integrated software.
- Work Authorization. Must have legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship.
- Valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record
- National Environmental Policy Act experience
- Working knowledge of natural and cultural resource regulations
- Experience conducting environmental compliance audits
- Experience conveying technical information to a non-technical audience
- Experience writing and preparing state and federal environmental review and assessment documents and studies
- Experience and proficiency in ArcGIS
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint
This is a full-time position including benefits with the associated salary being commensurate with experience and qualifications. PHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
PHE’s mission is best summarized as: be the consultant of choice, be the employer of choice, and provide exceptional hands-on support for challenging environmental, management, and information technology projects and problems. Living this mission has led to the development of a corporate culture that attracts highly talented professionals, and a working environment in which these professionals can thrive. We are always looking for highly motivated, bright, and enthusiastic individuals to join our team. If you have the skills we need, we want you to consider joining us. A career at PHE is a rewarding, personal, and professional experience.
To Apply: If interested, submit resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Top candidates will be contacted and may be asked to submit writing samples. No calls please.